2 sweet potatoes, large, peeled and diced
8 parsnips, peeled and diced
2 small onions, peeled and diced
2 apples, peeled and diced
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon five spice powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup Marsala (optional)
2 ounces dried apples
3/4 cup creme fraiche PREPARATION
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Place the diced vegetables and fresh apples on a baking sheet and toss with the walnut oil, honey, rosemary, five spice powder, salt and pepper. Roast, turning often, until vegetables are softened and lightly caramelized, 30 to 35 minutes.
3. Combine the vegetable broth, Marsala, and dried apples in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; simmer until reduced by one-third, about 20 minutes.
4. Working in small batches, puree the roasted vegetables with the reduced liquid in a blender; transfer to a saucepan. If the soup is too thick, thin with hot water or more broth.
5. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle a little creme fraiche over the top of each serving and swirl with a skewer or a knife. Serve immediately.