i love fried foods and hate to fry...chicken, coconut shrimp, shrimp toast need frying...but ugh!...so frying is not for the faint of heart and only for the best reasons...here is one...
- 1 pound calamari tubes (frozen is fine)
- 6 ounces of club soda
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 dashes salt and pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
- sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
Sweet & Spicy Sauce:
- Slice the calamari tubes into rings about 1/4 inch wide.
- Pour the club soda into a medium bowl, place the calamari rings in the club soda, stir until all are submerged. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine the flour, salt and pepper, toss until combined. Set aside.
- Combine the chili garlic sauce, honey and sesame oil, mix well. Set aside.
- Drain the calamari, blot dry.
- Dredge the calamari, one at a time, in the flour mixture and set on a plate until ready to fry.
- Heat 1-2 inches of oil in a deep, heavy pot to 375 F. Once ready, place 1/4 of the calamari in the oil and fry for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until golden. Don't overcrowd. When you pull it out, place on a paper towel-lined plate and blot gently. Repeat.
- Toss with prepared sauce and garnish with sesame seeds if you happen to have them on hand OR serve sauce alongside the calamari. Enjoy!!