if you don't grill...
Tandoori Chicken Recipe in the broiler...
- 8 chicken thighs (can be regular, skinless, or skinless/boneless)
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic smashed
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 4 tsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp hot paprika
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- Cooked Basmati rice (for serving with)
- Preheat the broiler. Make shallow cuts in the chicken pieces with a knife. Toss the chicken in the lemon juice and 1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt in a large bowl.
- In a food processor or blender, pulse 2 Tbsp yogurt, the vegetable oil,onion, garlic, ginger, tomato paste, coriander, cumin, 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika, and 1/2 tsp kosher salt to make a paste.Toss the chicken in the mixture and let marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- Place the chicken on a foil-lined broiler pan. Broil, turning once, until slightly charred, 5-6 minutes per side. If cooking bone-in chicken, after broiling set oven to bake at 350 and bake the chicken in its juices for approximately 30 minutes. The center should register approx. 165 F when done.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1/2 cup yogurt and 1/2 tsp paprika, the cilantro and a pinch of kosher salt in a bowl. Top the chicken wiht the yogurt sauce and serve with rice underneath or on the side.
again, i prefer bone-less thighs...and well-done chicken in general...no pink, ugh!...
i'm also not a huge fan of basmati rice...i like a rice that blooms more...
always nice to serve a little coconut or currents on the side...
if you like it spicy, chopped serrano chilies...
diced cucumber, too...