Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Asiago Cheese Bacon Scuffins with Dried Cranberries

Asiago Cheese Bacon Scuffins with Dried Cranberries...

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided (1/2 tablespoon is for sprinkle over the top)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 5 tablespoons frozen butter*, shredded
  • 3/4 cup fat free milk, divided (i prefer cream)
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg white
  • 1 ounce dried cranberries
  • 1 ounce cooked bacon
  • 1 ounce shredded asiago cheese
Preheat the oven to 425.
Combine the flour, 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl; stir with a whisk.  (* My trick for the butter – the key to flaky biscuits, pie crusts, etc. is to have super cold butter.  I keep sticks of butter in my freezer, so that by the time I use a box grater to grate the cheese, the butter is still super cold.”  Put the shredded butter in the flour mixture – no need to use a pastry cutter since the butter is super fine – just toss to coat.
Combine 1/2 cup milk, vanilla, and egg white in a bowl.  Add mix mixture to flour mixture stirring until moist.  It was at this time that my dough was still super floury, so I  ended up adding an extra 1/4 cup of milk – but just eye ball it until it looks doughy.
I put my chopped bacon, cranberries and shredded cheese on my counter and put the dough on top – adding just a touch of flour I kneaded the dough until just incorporated.
I weighed each dough ball, made it into a circle and pressed down.  Put on Pam sprayed cookie sheet and divide the remaining 1/2 tablespoon sugar and sprinkle over the top of each scuffin.  Bake for 17-19 minutes, or until slightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment