Friday, July 1, 2011

a southern grace...

beautiful blog...great recipes..


JUNE 27, 2011


pickerboodles, knickerpoodles, flickertoodles

Snickerdoodles is a really random and fun name for a cookie, am I right? I love it--I think it embodies the whole plain-sugar-cookie-smothered-in-cinnamon-sugar thing.


Speaking of random and fun, have you ever heard of Demetri Martin? It wouldn't surprise me if you haven't; his work is a little obscure. I'm so glad I discovered him, though, as his oh-so-intelligent sense of humor is right up my alley (or down my road)(or across my street)(or in my cul-de-sac). Just to give you a taste (of Demetri's humor, not of my snickerdoodles--sorry!), here are a couple of his reverse-pick-up lines (also known as breakup lines):

*Are you doing push-ups with your knees down? Because I'm not sure if this is working out.
*Are you being followed? Because I've been seeing people behind your back.
*Hey, is there a new critically acclaimed movie called 'Other People'? Because that’s what I want to see.




He just makes me snicker. Correction: He just makes me snickerdoodle.

Knickerpoodles
(from Joy of Cooking)

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Put the rack in the upper third of the oven. Preheat to 350°F.
Mix together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Beat together the butter and 1 1/2 cups of sugar until well combined. Add the eggs and beat. Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture until smooth. Roll the batter into 1 1/4 inch balls with your hands. Roll the balls in a mixture of the remaining sugar and cinnamon and place about 3 inches apart on the pan. Bake for 8-11 minutes, until light golden brown on the edges.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment