if you don't know food52 you should...it is a beautiful site, full of generous contributors...lots of fun, tons of inspiration...answers for questions you didn't know you had...
Grilled Steak Sandwich with Blue Cheese Cole Slaw
Blue Cheese Slaw:
- 5 cups mixed shredded cabbage (green, red, napa)
- 4 large carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- salt and pepper
- Generously season the flank steak with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Over a preheated medium high grill, grill the flank steak for 5-6 minutes on each site for medium rare. Let the steak rest for 15 minutes. Slice the steak into 1/4 inch slices against the grain. Pack the steak for the picnic and keep chilled.
- Cut the ciabatta rolls in half. Grill lightly until toasted. Let cool and pack for the picnic.
- Mix together the dijon, vinegar, sugar, mayo, buttermilk, blue cheese, celery salt, and celery seeds in a bowl.
- Mix together the cabbage, onions, and carrots in a large bowl. Pour the blue cheese dressing over top. Season with salt and pepper. Pack the slaw for the picnic and keep chilled.
- Layer on slices of steak onto each roll and top with 1/2 cup of cole slaw. Top with other half of roll.